Sunday, January 8, 2012

Korea World Cup

I'm looking forward going back to Cheongsong and once again representing the USA as an "Army of One." It's time to go back to the "big pond" in the climbing competition circuit, the World Cup. South Korea is host to the opening UIAA International Ice Climbing World Cup Competition. This is by far the biggest event in mixed rock and ice climbing competitions anywhere in the world.


After being injured with a torn bicep muscle, I am managing to stay healthy and have had a fairly descent recovery thus far, but my pre-season training suffered. I had not climbed a route until I took second place at the indoor mixed competition in Colorado Springs in November, 2011. I'm a bit intimidated this year since I know how hard the competition routes are and how honed the other competitors will be, but I hope that I am on the uprising of performance at this point. Anything can happen in competitions though.

It's hard to get all my affairs in order prior to departure. Passport, competition license, reservations, airfare, and all the logistics it takes to get there...and back. The guide service suffers and Strike Rescue is getting ready to launch a new program at the University of New Mexico's EMS Academy. I'll be working while resting. I'm still working with the US Forest Service on permits for avalanche courses and keeping up with continuing medical education. There's always work to be done, even while on the road.

I stay up all night the day of the flight, not only because I'm afraid I'll miss my flight, but also to feel somewhat human when I land in Seoul. Crossing the International Date Line and having to compete is not so easy, but it's easier than going to Europe for some reason. I manage to squeeze in one more work out under the halogen lights on my climbing wall in the back yard and get my last green chili fix before heading to the airport. I'll crash out on the plane with knowing that my friends and family support me.

No comments:

Post a Comment