Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Ice Holdz Petzl Ergo Gear Review

It's Time
I was fortunate enough to finish my training wall this summer and put up some Ice Holdz in conjunction with a new upside down stein pull hold that I created in order to get ready for the upcoming Mixed Rock and Ice World Cup Competitions in Asia and Europe. As well, I was able to preview some of Petzl's latest creations, the new Ergo Ice Tool.

Having used the tools of the Jedi Master's, the Nomic, for the past several years for personal use and in competitions, I wondered how much more radical a tool could get. A new tool should not compromise performance on mixed terrain (rock, moss, plastic, wood, etc.) while staying true to ease of throwing into ice. This is sometimes a hard balance to create. The ERGO tool is clearly the next stage in the mixed climbing arena.

I was able to use this tool on real rock at a local climbing crag in Albuquerque, NM as well as on my wall throwing into Ice Holdz. It definitely takes some getting used to in the trust department, but the tool clearly holds on better to dime edges and complex holds than any tool I have used before. Moreover, when punching into an upside down stein pull, you are able to get higher (placing more leverage on the hold), allowing a longer throw afterward. This is a huge advantage. I'm still learning with these tools, but I think they will be the number one arrow in my quiver this year when I hit the mixed terrain.

Check them out and put yours on order at the Strike Rescue Store
http://store.strikerescue.com/store.php?crn=242&rn=492&action=show_detail

For Ice Holdz, well, check out the video and you be the judge. These holdz are great practice for throwing into real ice. The y work best in moderate temperatures and are awesome for preseason training. Even having 4-6 of these holdz will greatly diversify your training. Mentally, it switches your focus from rock holds to having to swing into ice. They're easy to mount onto your home wall or gym. They're not that expensive and for what you get out of them you'll be happy you have some to train on.


Edit Posts

No comments:

Post a Comment